20 comments

1. I would memorize looking for alaska because it was written by the greatest author in the universe, John Green, and I would do it for him.

2. I would save Black Boy because the author dedicated his entire life to create such a story like that, and it deserves more attention. Black Boy consists of discrimination and prejudice of African Americans back in 1920s and 1930s. As a human living in the world, we must know how the world was like back in the days for them and learn that we will never make the same mistake again.

3. I would remember the Holy Bible because it is a work of God. Also because it is an unique piece of literature in human history. It is written by multiple authors in different times, but it still make sense when the pieces are combined together. It would be real challenge to remember it.

4. Fahrenheit 451 would be ideal for this prompt, as memorizing the contents of literature is the premise of Ray Bradbury’s dystopian authoritative society, a haunting depiction of a near-future in which governments actively seek out to put its denizens in a state of perpetual intellectual darkness. Despite the time-consuming nature of memorizing the contents of an entire novel, it would certainly be fitting that the novel is Fahrenheit 451.

5. I would memorize Mikhail Bulgakov’s The Master and Margarita because the censors have won twice and they might win again. Written under the rule of Stalin, the novel covers a wide range of topics including faith, censorship, and morality itself. Bulgakov burned the original manuscript, fearing Stalin’s censors. Before his death, he would rewrite and release his masterpiece, only to see his fears manifest themselves. The version that the state allowed to be released was heavily cut down and labelled as degenerate and anti-social by the state critics. It would be decades after Bulgakov’s death until the real version was found again and released. But even today, few know of this Russian masterpiece; the censors have won. Years of being covered up by the Soviet censors have left the book in obscurity. I would remember this book because it should never be lost again; because unless we remember it, the censors win. In the words of Dr. Woland, a character in The Master and Margarita: “manuscripts don’t burn.”

6. When I saw the movie Gone with the Wind for the first time, I was captured by its beauty. I had to get the book. Normally I like whichever I’d read/seen first, the book or the movie, but this time the book, which I’d read second, was better. It has shown me another side of the Civil War. I never really understood and empathized with the Confederates, but now I have witnessed what these people endured through their eyes. Gone with the Wind has changed the way I view any argument or anything at all: I have to know both sides. Even when I form an opinion, I consider the other side. The characters also mean a lot to me: Scarlett, who pulls through a dark time with her resourcefulness and determination; Rhett, daring and acute yet loving and sentimental; and Melanie, selfless, loving, and compassionate up to her death. These heroes are quite flawed as well, but that only makes them more life-like. I couldn’t bear it if this book was forever gone. If so, I’d have only one choice: to memorize Gone with the Wind.

7. i would memorize Harry Potter because it has universal lessons and it was a big part of pop culture in the 2000s/2010s

8. I would memorize the entire book of Fahrenheit 451 because, first of all, the book has an interesting irony of banned books ;), and second, this book is relatively short and very interesting to read 🙂

9. I would memorize the Bone series by Jeff Smith. In the eighth grade, one of my teachers had gotten the entire series in one book and I read it in a few days. It was an eventful book of fantasy and dragons. In the book, Phoney Bone, Fone Bone, and Smiley Bone are cast out of their town due to Phoney Bone’s campaign for mayor went awry. They are then thrown into the land of the Valley, where they embark on a quest to save the people.

10. I would memorize the book, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, by Stephen Chbosky. The book teaches others the struggles of a teenage life, but it also teaches that happy moments can destroy those hard sad moments. Bullying is not ok. Everyone deserves friends. More people need to reach out to others who are sitting by themselves at lunch or people who are being bullied for no reason.

11. I would definitely memorize the Harry Potter books because, everyone is still talking about them. I would love to not look at the book and just recite the books for little kids.

12. To avoid getting lost in “the sands of time,” I would memorize the Bible. In my life today, a verse can always manage to fit the situation I’m in, and can really pull me out of times of struggle or doubt. My pastors, lifegroup leaders, friends, and family, always seem to put me in a better place than when I first approached them. Stories of the bible can still help many people to get through everyday life, and even the toughest times.

13. There’s no question about! I would absolutely, positively, most definitely memorize The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. The sands of time wouldn’t even affect me! I would go into some cave somewhere, isolate myself, and copy down the entirety of the Mortal Instruments on some papyrus manuscript. It’ll be ancient Egypt all over again! Except, I’ll preserve the story but placing it in some airtight, sacred vase to make it look like it’s some ancient text when 200 years pass by. They’ll open it up and BAM! It’s actually The Mortal Instruments! An adventurous, mythological story set in modern times! Archeologists will think it’s some historical text but nope! Just Mortal Instruments. It’s an amazing series with so much adventure that my little head would gladly memorize to protect against the sands of time itself. Sounds like an adventure straight out of the novel!

14. Believe it or not I would memorize the Harry Potter series. I am aware that the Harry Potter series have 7 books plus the Cursed Child Book. But, I love it too much to let it go. I love Harry Potter so much that I read each book in a day. I read and watched the entire series within a week.

15. I would memorize “The Lord of the Rings” series because I love the adventure and magic that occurs throughout the novel. My imagination soars as I follow the characters in their various quests. Whenever I read a book from the series, I completely escape the world and slip into the world of middle-earth.

16. Once again, I would defend Harry Potter in any way. I would memorize those insanely long books so they would not get lost in time. The series is just too good to be forgotten about through time. If these books made my childhood great, then I would memorize them to make other people’s kids’ lives great.

17. One banned book that has banned for its religious viewpoints is the Bible. I would definitely remember the Bible because it has so many insightful passages that greatly influence how I am today. So being able to memorize this would be such a big accomplishment for me because I would have the entire Bible in my mind wherever I went.

18. I would memorize 1984, by George Orwell, to prevent it from being lost in time. This book represents a world that is so fully controlled by the leader called Big Brother, that individuality no longer exists. It was a terrifying future when it was written and continues to exist as a reminder that we must hold on to our individuality. It serves as a warning that the future might not be a bright as we hoped. It must be remembered so that we can prevent what we may become.

19. The book that I would memorize is Of Mice and Men, because it is a book that can reveal its message through oral storytelling. It is a thought provoking story about innocence and friendship. I believe that a plot that with moral lessons behind it, are important to be passed on to generations.