Summoner: The Novice

In a brutal world based on the time-old philosophy of “Might is Right,” Fletcher is a nobody. He is an orphan and the only trade he knows is what he learned by being a blacksmith’s apprentice. In the small town of Pelt, it seems that bullies and the wealthy people who demean him are his fate, until he discovers an ancient summoning spell that changes his life forever. In days, Fletcher’s life becomes a whirlwind of magic, elves, dwarves, and even the terrifying orcs with whom the Hominum Empire is at war. Thrust into the frightening and cruel world of politics, nobility, and tension between the species, Fletcher is enrolled into the Vocans Academy, the school for summoners. But all the while, his past haunts him.

I absolutely LOVED this book. Within the first few pages, I was hooked. I loved Taran Matharu’s (the author) narration and use of loveable (and not-so-lovable) characters to create not only a good book, but an expansive world to explore while reading. But, there are a few things that have to be brought up. The book honestly felt WAY too similar to The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini. I mean, the main character is an average nobody from some small town, happens to find a mythical creature, and then goes around learning magic and how to fight? Not to mention the pretty female elf, the gruff dwarf, and the easy-to-hate noble boy.

Nevertheless, I definitely recommend this book. In my opinion it is a 5/5 book, given that I practically couldn’t put it down (except for those pesky times when I had to sleep or go to school). I’ll be waiting with you all for the sequel!