Me Before You

By Jojo Moyes

I have to say, Me Before You is the best novel I’ve ever read in my life.

I’ve probably read hundreds of books since I was three or four, because I’ve always loved reading. Reading is and will always be a part of my life. It has shaped me into who I am. So, as you can see, when I say “this is the best novel I’ve ever read in my life,” I really mean it. Me Before You is the first book to fill and touch my heart completely and to change my perspective towards life.

I knew the story before I read the book, because I saw the movie on opening night (that was the first time I’ve ever did that). The movie was very emotional, as it was supposed to be, but I remember feeling empty when I walked out of the theater. That’s why I wasn’t prepared for the book to shift my life completely, opening my eyes to a completely different world and to learn what it means to live. Me Before you captures emotions that a film could not. A story about a very ordinary girl named Louisa Clark and a hopeless man who became a quadriplegic after a tragic motorcycle accident named Will Traynor will definitely bring you to tears. More than that, it will make you feel alive.

me-before-you-movie

It sounds just like another love story between two young people, but let me assure you, it is not. The friendship that Louisa and Will form is incredible. I was able to understand both of these characters and was able to put myself in their shoes. Not surprisingly, the world seemed so different in each others’ eyes. In Will’s eyes, I saw no hope, only grief and regret about future. I would probably have acted the same as him, if I had such a life before the accident. Will couldn’t accept the fact that his freedom was taken away: His freedom to choose, his freedom to go anywhere he wanted and his freedom to think. On the other hand, I saw joy, happiness, and most importantly hope in Louisa’s eyes. In just 6 months, Will and Louisa changed each other, and brought them closer to each other.

The book made me reflect on myself: How I’ve lived my life so far, and how I should live my life from now on. Will tells Louisa to LIVE BOLDLY, just to be herself and shape the world. It was a great experience for me as a passionate reader and blogger to read a novel, not a non-fiction book or a legendary novel like 1984 or To Kill a Mockingbird, but a romance novel that was capable of dragging me into Will and Louisa’s world and live through them.  I’ve never been able to connect with romance novels this deeply before, so Me Before You came as a shock.

The title, Me Before You, can have so many different, unique meanings, but in my personal opinion, it means to put others before yourself. Will performed a selfless act and made Louisa realize something she was missing from her life. Me Before You is a beautiful story, not just because two people find each other, but because it brings out all the true emotions out of every one of us who reads the book.

“Live Boldly. Push Yourself. Don’t Settle. Just live.” -Will Traynor

I think I better start that now.