We All Looked Up by Tommy Wallach

1414hg3If the world was ending, how would humankind react? We All Looked Up is a story told from the view of several teenagers as they experience the world on the brink of destruction. They received the news that an asteroid was on a collision course to earth and have only a few weeks left. As the city falls into chaos, they struggle to overcome the boundaries they created for themselves and find a way to make their last few weeks count.

With a world on the brink of destruction, it brings into question what is truly important. It’s about when your time is running out, what you can do to fulfill your dreams. Reading this book made me wonder how I would react to knowing that the end was near. It made me wonder how I would act, what I would change. A lot of life is dedicated to preparing for the next moment, for the rest of our lives. We All Looked Up highlights how people react to an end. Some people tried to understand the shift of importance from money to family. Others took the chance to find a way to make their dreams come true. Humankind can act in unexpected, and sometimes desperate, ways when they have nothing to lose.

We All Looked Up is a powerful novel, reminding the world, that even if we don’t have an asteroid coming towards us, we still have to take the chance to become better people. To have hope that we can change. In a way, the book is a challenge to the reader, asking them to consider themselves as if the world was ending. It asks them what would change, what would be done differently.